Tuesday, May 19, 2009

An act of "green" rebellion

I am the first one to save energy. I hate spending money on electricity, air conditioning, etc. I think we waste far too much. Everytime I open a toy, or put out my garbage, I marvel at the sheer mass of waste and mess that even one family produces. I believe in conserving nature and the beauty of the earth. I buy the re-usable grocery bags at the stores. I don't want to breathe in toxic smoke, or fumes or anything similar. I enjoy the no-smoking rules inside restaurants. But I am GREATLY annoyed at the paranoia and emotionalism surrounding "Global Warming" "Climate Change," or whatever term they will choose tomorrow. I am annoyed by the insistence that those who believe are indisputably right, when there are plenty of scientists out there who disagree. It pisses me off. I think the world is much more threatened by the possibility of a nuclear explosion than the "man-made," gradual warming of the earth. I would MUCH rather money be spent on PEOPLE who really need help, like the homeless, veterans, sick children, or individuals with special needs. I am annoyed by people shoving this urgent, green hype down my throat.

I find it ironic that these same people who cry about keeping the earth beautiful want to spread gigantic windmills and solar panels across this same earth---to actually run anything by solar or windpower will require a ridiculous number of these ineffective eyesores. Perhaps eventually, they will make these energy sources more effective, but for now...

So, yesterday, at the mall, when the lady asked me if I wanted to "go green," by getting the gift card with a picture of some trees on it, I originally said, "yes." No skin off my nose. But then when she told me the card would be two dollars more, to help prevent "climate change," I was so annoyed by the term, I did the politically incorrect thing, and said, "no." She stared at me like I was a complete heathen. Yes, it is me, a green rebel. I am not interested in "buying" into the ridiculous hype--even if it is just 2 dollars.

No comments:

Post a Comment