Thursday, May 28, 2009

The complication of naps...


When naps are taken by the appropriate people at the appropriate times, they can be heavenly...for me and the napper. However, when schedules are thrown off, and naps sneak in when they are not supposed to, household sanity is at risk.

Andrew is upstairs crying, and Sammy is downstairs sleeping on the couch. The exact opposite of "an ideal situation." Andrew slept for 20 minutes in the car, and now is crying in his crib, unable to sleep. Sammy stayed up late last night having fun, and now is so exhausted that he remained asleep despite a transport and a wardrobe change. Unfortunately this means he will be up until about 9:30 or 10:00 tonight, fussing and rattling around in his bed. Andrew's shrieks from his crib make it hard for me to enjoy my typical mid-afternoon sanity break. How exactly does a 20-minute cat-nap make up for 2 hours of missed sleep?

Yesterday I attempted to take a small nap, having been up most of the night wired from a "decaf" coffee I had early that morning. I'm not even sure I slept more than a five minutes between intermittent shrieks , cries, and complaints about TV shows. However, somehow it was enough to keep me up until 10:30 pm, even though I crawled into bed around 8:00 pm.

Growing up, I remember being confused and annoyed when my mom would wake me up if I fell asleep on the couch. Why did she care if I slept or not? I was tired! Hmm....perhaps it was my knocking on her door at 11:30 pm complaining that I couldn't sleep? Ah, the wisdom of motherhood. She knew about the complication of naps...and the price mothers pay for children (over the age of 3) sleeping during the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment